The Discovery of Lower Level Water During a Home Inspection

A very common problem that arises for home owners is water in the lower level. While structural damage involving water leakage in the cellar is rare, a bevy of other annoyances can pop up as a result, depending on the amount and consistency. Interior finishes, appliances, items stored within all face the damaging effects of unwelcome water. Mold, mildew and the lack of ample air escape opportunity can be burdensome for those with allergies.

A home inspection service does its due diligence when inspecting a home’s lower level. Often, a lower level’s true water leakage potential is hidden during an inspection for a number of different reasons—signs of where water leaks in may be seen but the true breadth of flow and damage potential can remain hidden, under wraps until the new home owner moves in to experience it themselves.

Your home inspection service will look for these hints of past or recent water in the lower level:

  • Dampness
  • Staining Around Floor Cracks
  • Efflorescence
  • Mold/Mildew
  • Rust Stains
  • Stained/Darkened Wood
  • Water Bugs

If you move into a home and come upon the rude awakening of a lower level flood, you do have some options as far as repair. Filling the cracks where water enters, sealants for smaller leaks or overall wall coverage. If the walls are gushers, your best option may just be as much preventive maintenance as is possible, with a couple of doses of precaution. Always run a dehumidifier, wrap any pipes that leak with insulation. These are passive options that can make a difference in air quality and the ability to tolerate being in the lower level.

If you are thinking about purchasing a home with a lower level, be sure to seek out a respected and experienced Eden Prairie Home Inspection Service like Amerispec.

Are you interested in learning more about our home inspection service work in Eden Prairie or any of the surrounding areas? Contact us or call us at AmeriSpec Home Inspection Service at 952-854-5110, or you can Contact Us.